It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Along Comes Tandyn Almer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 am 

I haven't posted anything here in quite some time. A long time. Those of you who remember me and those who don't I want to assure lest there be any doubt that ALL I am REALLY interested in talking about is the falsehood status of merit and free will.

I don't believe anyone was put on Earth for anything but I will tell you I was put here to make people understand that free will and merit are falsehoods. Worse than that they are nefarious falsehoods. You read it here first. My contribution to pop music.

Now in spite of all that believe it or not here is something else interesting I thought I would share at nickdrake.com.

For one reason or another the song Along Comes Mary enters my mind one day. We're not talking free will here. A pretty cool song from my generation I think so I decide to listen to it. Seeing on the 45 disc on youtube the name of the composer Tandyn Almer. Well that is someone I've never heard of and no less than that a strange name and I want to know more.

Just that one line “Now my empty cup tastes as sweet as the punch” is so extraordinary. It is so I-don't-know-what. Shakespearean? I don't know a thing about Shakespeare except there's a MINI dealer north of S-on-A. Or was. Think of me when you see it. Immortal in any event.

Tandyn was this guy from Minnesota whose parents couldn't decide what to name him and he quit school to go to Los Angeles pursuing his musical talent and somehow his song Along Comes Mary gets picked up by the Association which I don't totally understand because I thought they were from the east coast New York area. He has some collaboration with Brian Wilson then apparently a crisis and leaves California for Virginia of all places and remains there quite obscure until he dies in 2013. Even so reportedly he was a happy guy.

Some took interest in him late in his life and put together an album Along Comes Tandyn. I'm not gifted when it comes to music but I want to say a few things. This is probably a limited perspective. This is not easy listening music. There is something kind of tense about it. I think he's more into words than music. I'm surprised he and Brian Wilson did anything together.

My favorites? They include Degeneration Gap. Though very monotonous and repetitive going on and on. But the lyrics contain all the elements felt pertinent in the late 60s and he was showing people he was a member of the tribe. And Alice Designs – means LSD and no I didn't figure that out myself I had to read it. Guess if you have a marijuana song you also have to have an LSD song. Particularly as the former was a big success.

So after an initial kind of aversion I got used to his style and now find some of it catchy and enjoy listening to it. Maybe some of you will enjoy it as well.

My favorite photo of him is the one where he's in the fancy shirt at Joshua Tree with a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth.

lemonade kid do you know anything about Tandyn?

Offline Profile